Uverse has enabled IPv6 for its customers, which is awesome, but also causes problems if things aren’t configured correctly.
For months, I’d been plagued by slow loading of Facebook and other major sites. The issue seems to be the akamai-hd CDN specifically. I believe that it first tries to connect to the ipv6 CDN servers first, before timing out after 20-30s and finally connecting via ipv4.
That’s not good, so let’s fix it.
- Login to your Motorola gateway (mine’s a NVG589) and make sure that the “IPv6” option is set to “On” under Home Network -> Configure.
- Make sure you have a “Global Unicast IPv6 Address” under Broadband -> Status. This is basically the unique address of the gateway.
- Configure your router to receive. Here’s what it looks like on my router (TP-link Archer C9)
- Configure the router to assign IPv6 addresses. The prefix should basically be the first part of the Global Unicast address (this is filled in automatically by my router)
- Check it with http://ipv6-test.com/